Monday, November 11, 2013

Faith Ringgold Inspired Personal Narrative Quilts

Our first grade artists analyzed the painted quilts of Faith Ringgold and discussed why artists create art.  We came to the conclusion Ringgold created her quilts to tell stories about her childhood and important people throughout her life.  After several weeks of collage exploration, we were ready to make a picture about what we like to do with our family.  Students were able to choose from a variety of different patterned and textured paper to bring their personal narratives to life.  We used the printmaking technique of gadget stamping to create our borders using erasers, cardboard pieces, cubes, and bottle tops,  as every Ringgold quilt was not complete without one! All of the students collages will be joined to form a class quilt.  In an effort to integrate art and literacy, our first graders will be writing about the "small moment" they expressed in their collages with their homeroom teachers.


                               Tar Beach, Faith Ringgold
 
       Dancing at the Louvre, Faith Ringgold 1990
 
 
 
 
Class Quilt Display
  
I like to eat dinner with my family

I like to snorkel with my family.
 

I like to eat dinner with my family.

I like to play with my family.

I like to hike with my family.

I like to play soccer with my family.

I like to eat with my family.

I like to go outside with my family.

I like to have dinner with my family.

I like to go to Spain with my family for Christmas.

I like to go to the beach with my family.

I like to bike with my family.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I love the storytelling aspect. Also, all the figures came out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We practiced for a few weeks so they got really comfortable with the scissors and creating people.

    ReplyDelete