Friday, September 6, 2019

Mrs. Banker is Back!

  

I have been so fortunate enough to take off the entire last year to care for my daughter Violet, who was born last July 14th, 2018.  I took that time to bond with her as well as with my son Sebastian who is 3.5.  Over the last year, I was able to drop my son off at school everyday and participate as a class parent, often doing little art exercises with his classmates.  After reading  Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert , it was my goal to get back into my own art making and I was able to create two works of art of my children that I am really proud of.  Below are the artworks I created.




During the first half of my maternity leave when my son still took a nap in the afternoon that lined up with my daughters second nap, I did a lot of  research on art curriculum and put much thought into how I can make a more meaningful art studio for the kids.  Most of my efforts at first went towards my little preschoolers, who  I see most often and am always looking for new and exciting content.  It was my goal to create a curriculum that was more holistic, with units that connected each lesson seamlessly.  In the past, due to the frequency I would see some of the classes, I often found myself scrambling and thought what I was teaching did not tie into the whole as much as I would have liked.  Below are some great books that helped me revamp the curriculum this year and I can't wait to get started!




Another change will be how I teach fourth grade.  I am trying to move more towards a TAB (Teaching for Artistic Behavior) style of teaching to give the students more choice and opportunity to create work that is meaningful to them and that they can connect their own personal experiences to.  It is a little overwhelming for me but I am excited for the change and I think it will benefit the students. Click on the link to find out more about TAB style of teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment