Tuesday, August 12, 2014

First Grade Represents Part II!




Claude Monet, Garden at Sainte Adresse, 1867



Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Dance at the Moulin de la Galette, 1876

For the last part of our first grade painting unit, we continued looking at artwork from the impressionism movement and discussed how Monet and Renoir often tried to capture a moment and feeling in time.  We focused on how artists use visual clues to help tell us about what is going on in their painting.  For example, in Monet's Sainte Adresse, (1867) we can assume this scene is taking place during a windy day in France, due to the type of flags that are painted and how they are blowing in the wind.  In Dance at the Moulin de la Galette (1876), Renoir shows a fun celebration by the crowds of people dancing and conversing together. We can see both paintings are from a long time ago by the clothing they are wearing.  

Our first graders, like the impressionists were going to show something they enjoy doing outside. Our young artists were incorporating all the painting skills they learned, such as how to mix secondary colors from red, yellow, and blue and what to manipulate those colors by adding black and/or white. After practicing how to paint their own figures, they had the option to include themselves in their paintings or just represent a special place or activity that would take place outdoors.  The most commonly used visual clues by students were specific clothing such as bathing suits, a cheer leading outfit, and sports uniforms.  

Student Examples
I like to play in my tree house.  

I like to build a sand castle at the beach.  

I like to cheer outside.  

I like to climb a tree outside.  

I like to play soccer outside.  

I like to to play baseball outside.  

I like to play soccer outside.  

I like to kick a soccer ball outside.  

I like to go on my swing outside.  

I like to play on my swing set in my backyard.  

I like to go in my tree house outside.  




No comments:

Post a Comment